Ayurveda “The Science of Life“
“When you walk with naked feet, how can you ever forget the earth?” – Carl Jung –
Ayurveda is a healing system that has its roots in ancient India. It dates back more than 5,000 years making it the oldest healing system in the world.
Ayuh means life and Veda means knowledge
The knowledge contained in Ayurveda deals with nature, scope and purpose of life, and includes its metaphysical and physical aspects – health and disease, happiness and sorrow, pain and pleasure. Ayurveda defines life as the conjunction of body, mind and spirit found in cosmic consciousness and embracing all of creation.
Ayurveda is a medical science and its purpose is to heal and to maintain the quality, harmony and longevity of life.
The ancient Rishis of India who developed the “Science of Life” organized their wisdom into 3 bodies of knowledge:
– Ayurveda, which deals mainly with the physical body;
– Yoga, which deals mainly with the spirit, and
– Tantra, which is mainly concerned with the mind.
Yoga and Tantra are paths to freedom from dependence on the world.
– True freedom is the ability to be totally adaptable -.
Yoga relies on progressive restriction of inputs from outside;
Tantra relies on transmutation of all external inputs so that one is no longer dependant on them. But can take them or leave them at will.
Yoga and Tantra can help make an individual independent.
Yogic and Tantric practices should not be followed without at least a rudimentary foundation of Ayurvedic knowledge.
Ayurveda is most concerned with the physical basis of Life, concentrating on its harmony to induce harmony of mind and spirit.
Ayurveda embraces all health disciplines by uniquely suggesting a treatment regime appropriate for each individual, looking at the problem/disease from its roots, treating the whole person not just the organ or system involved.
According to Ayurvedic philosophy, the entire cosmos is an interplay of the energies of the 5 elements – Ether (space), Air, Fire, Water and Earth. (as in TCM -Traditional Chinese Medicine) Ayurveda groups the5 elements into three basic types of energy or functional principles that are present in everybody and everything, AKA the 3 doshas: Vata, Pitta and Kapha or deviations, organizational powers of nature, constitutions or humours/principles, binding the 5 elements into flesh.
Every dosha is composed of the 5 elements. However, 2 elements predominate in each:
Vata: Ether and Air
Pitta: Fire and Water
Kapha: Water and Earth.
Dosha is that which can become vitiated and then affects the bodily tissues, leading to disease. As long as the doshas are normal in quality and quantity, they maintain a healthy psychophysiology.
The moment they go out of balance, they corrupt, vitiate or pollute the dhatus (bodily tissues) and then they become dosha. (here meaning impurity)
Vata, Pitta and Kapha are the very foundation of Ayurveda
** Find out which dosha you are by visiting the Dosha Test page on our blog menu.
Healing Treatments in Ayurveda consist of:
– Elimination of the root cause(s)
– Treatment of the condition
– Rebuilding of the body and the continuing support of a rejuvenation program (which will include a balance mix of: appropriate diet to balance out disturbed dosha, massage/appropriate treatments, herbs, Yoga, meditation)
Be prepared to talk about yourself (in detail) about ALL areas of your life. During the consultation, we open doors to places that may be vulnerable, yet this is exactly where we the healing has to begin. Based on the outcome of the conversation and what is revealed, we design a “Lifestyle plan” to bring you back into balance. Length: Min. 1.5 hrs. Cost: 120 Euros. Program is emailed to you as well as any other material you shall need.
- ABHYANGA: An ancient treatment using warm oils (selected according to the body type) is designed to improve circulation, remove toxins, calm the nervous system and enhance immunity. This soothing massage allows the therapeutic qualities of the herbs and oils to penetrate deeply into your body promoting healing at the micro-cellular level.
Length of treatment: 1 hr and 15 minutes plus a rest period. Cost: $ 120
- SHIRODHARA: A steady stream of warm oil which is continuously poured onto the forehead. The oil runs over your temples, scalp and down through your hair. This is a massage of the third eye and as you lay there, you won’t want to be troubled with detail, only with the restorative sensations as you drift and dream. – This is a deeply relaxing treatment which revitalizes the central nervous system, activates and regulates the brain, relieves mental tension, and induces a heavenly state of mind. Shirodhara gives best results when taken on the day following an abhyanga.
This is a Ama (toxin) removal treatment in addition to its mental relaxation. It is truly divine!
Lenght of treatment: 45 min plus a rest period. Cost: $120
- MARMA THERAPY: Re balancing of the entire system by way of stimulating the major Marma points in the body.
Meaning of Marma:
Secret, hidden, vital energy points located in the surface of the body. Tendency to cluster around the joints, middle/belly of large muscles, tendons, major lymph nodes.
· Junction points where subtle life energy (un-manifested) becomes matter and where our thoughts come into physical manifestation. (Junction between consciousness and matter)
· All Ayurvedic treatments are based in Marma therapy some way or another.
Also known as energy pathways for healing.
· Most restorative therapy as is so gentle and passive in the body influencing the entire human body and all its systems down to cellular level.
· There is about 84,000 marmas in the body but we mainly work with 107 / 117, 7 of them being the CHAKRAS, wheels of energy. Marmas are intimately connected to the chakra system. Marma is a doorway of consciousness, while a chakra is a reservoir of consciousness.
Lengh of treatment: 1 hr long with a rest period. Cost: $ 110
With Marma Facial massage: $115, extra 30 min.
SHAMANIC CHAKRA CLEANSING THERAPY
Bringing together ancient healing techniques from Ayurveda and combining them with Shamanic principles for connecting to higher realms in light of removing energetic blocks from the physical, mental and esoteric bodies. Length of treatment: 2-2.5 hrs (including rest period).
Cost: 130 Euros